Donate Now

Donate Now2019-12-03T07:43:52-08:00

Thank you for considering a contribution to Homes First. We rely on the generous financial support of our community to provide low-cost housing in Thurston & Mason Counties. Through the generosity of people like you, we have developed more than 110 living spaces in 46  properties and housed over 5,000 people since  1990.  We depend on the support of our friends in the community to continue our mission of providing safe, healthy, and affordable homes for those who need them most.   We promise to be good stewards of your gifts!   All gifts are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

Our goal is to raise $100,000 in gifts from our community this year! WHY?  Because we turn away over 800 households every year who need a safe, healthy and affordable place to live that only Homes First can provide.

YOU can help us reach that goal and by doing so allow us to provide more homes for more of your neighbors in 2020 – our 30th Anniversary Year!

Click to Contribute

Celebration Donation, an innovative way to honor, thank, and remember people you care about while helping low-income families and individuals in our community.

Use a Celebration Donation to commemorate the life of a loved one who valued our mission, celebrate the holidays or recognize birthdays, milestones, and special achievements. It is a  particularly gracious expression of gratitude or a meaningful memorial for someone who has cared deeply about housing advocacy.

Questions:  Contact Shannon at 360-915-8176 or

You can be a HERO for HOUSING!  Pledge to support Homes First now and into the future and join our League of Housing  Heroes.  Five years of commitment will help us know that we can continue to provide homes for more of our neighbors and make a real impact on the housing crisis in Thurston and Mason Counties. It costs $450 per tenant to keep our homes affordable for our tenants and thus keep them in a home. Can you invest in a community where everyone has a home that they can afford?

Click to Contribute

Combined Fund Drive

Are you an employee of the State of Washington? The Combined Fund Drive offers the security and convenience you expect when making a donation to your favorite charity. You can choose a monthly payroll deduction, write a check, go online, make a one time pledge or fill out a paper form.

Homes First CFD Registration Number is 0316512.

Click to Participate

Donate a home or place Homes First in your will and cement your support of affordable housing for all and your legacy in your community.  Partner with Homes First to make sure more homes in more neighborhoods provide safe, healthy, and affordable housing to those who need it most.

Questions:  Trudy at or 360-236-0920

Trudy SoucoupCEO
Click the envelope icon to email Trudy

Give a Home for the Holidays.  Please consider supporting Homes First in our efforts to provide REAL brick and mortar homes to the over 1,400 families living homeless in Thurston County.  Gift baskets are great but a HOME is BETTER!!  A home provides hope for more than a season.

Click to Contribute

Employer Matching Gifts

Employer Matching Gifts

Do You Know?

Many employers will match gifts to a non-profit organization given by employees and spouses, even if they are retired.

When considering a donation to Homes First in the coming year, simply check with your personnel office to obtain the necessary form, complete it, and send in along with your gift or pledge payment to double or triple your gift!.

Leave a Lasting Legacy to Your Community

A bequest is a gift made through your will or living trust and is a popular type of deferred gift. You may designate your gift to Homes First! where your donation will used to provide support for Homes First service in our community. Your bequest is your lasting legacy to Homes First! and its mission to create affordable homes in Thurston and Mason Counties. As you consider a bequest to Homes First, you and your attorney may find it helpful to have the following wording for different types of bequest provisions:

Percentage of Estate for Unrestricted Purposes

I hereby give, devise and bequeath to Homes First , a nonprofit in Olympia, WA, _____ percent (%) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate as an unrestricted gift to be used in the area of greatest need at the time the gift is received.

A Specific Amount for Unrestricted Purposes

I hereby give, devise and bequeath to Homes First, a nonprofit in Olympia, WA, the sum of _______ dollars ($ ) as an unrestricted gift to be used in the area of greatest need at the time the gift is received.

Put Your Home Into a Trust for Homes First

If you transfer your house to a living trust, it will not be part of your probate estate when you die. You can specify in the trust deed that the trustee is to transfer the house to your intended heir the day after you die. By contrast, it could take months, or even longer, to transfer title to the house if it passes under your will and a probate court takes jurisdiction over it.

We can help you stay in your house for your lifetime and then help others in the future through your generous donation to Homes First

Consider Saving Yourself Taxes While Providing More Housing Opportunities

Share your Required Minimum Distribution with Homes First!

AFTER YEARS OF contributing to tax-deferred 401(k)s and IRAs, income tax is due on that money when you take withdrawals in retirement. Annual withdrawals from traditional retirement accounts are required after age 70 1/2, and the penalty for skipping a required minimum distribution is 50 percent of the amount that should have been withdrawn. However, if you are in the fortunate position of not needing your distribution for living expenses and are charitably inclined, you can avoid income tax on your required withdrawal by donating your money directly to a qualifying charity. Here’s how a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA can be used to help Homes First provide more homes and reduce your tax bill.

Meet the requirements. IRA owners must be age 70 1/2 or older to make a tax-free charitable contribution. Those who meet the age requirement can transfer up to $100,000 per year directly to an eligible charity without paying income tax on the transaction. If you file a joint tax return, your spouse can also make a charitable contribution of up to $100,000, meaning couples can exclude up to $200,000 of their retirement savings from income tax if they donate it to charity. If you donate more than the maximum allowable amount it is considered income and could be subject to income tax. Qualified charitable contributions must be made by December 31 each year in order to exclude that amount from taxable income.


For more information on the advantages of putting your home in trust, click HERE.

For more information on the advantages of sharing part or all of your RMD with Homes First, click HERE.